WELCOME IN THE REGION
Region of town Lučenec is a natural geographical centre of southern part of Central Slovakia . It borders with districts : Poltár, Detva, Rimavská Sobota, Veľký Krtíš and to the south with the Hungarian Republic. The greater part of the region, mainly its northern part is mountainous, hilly with a typical hillside settlement. Mountains belong to Slovenské Rudohorie or the Slovak Ore Mountains and to Cerovská vrchovina (Cerovská highlands). Differences in elevation fluctuate from 162 m to 1118 m above sea level. Flat terrain is in central part of the region, mainly around the river Ipeľ, which counts to the most fertile parts in the south of Slovakia. Territory is exceptionaly rich in ore and non-ore deposits. In the case it will be used, the deposits are guarantee for economical develoment of whole region. In the past district Lučenec belonged to highly-development regions with industrial production including processing of mineral raw materials, wood and agricultural products. Considerable was also machine and textile industries. Exactly these branches are linking up an industrial structure of the territory, from which are the most significant is industry of building materials and food-processing industry. Diversified natural conditions create an attractive surroundings and offer possibilities for summer and winter recreation. There are serveral water reservoirs in basin of the river Ipeľ, the largest from them is Ružiná and Málinec. They can be used not only as water reservoirs for irrigation, supplying of inhabitants with drinking water, but also for industry, energetics and for recreational purposes. Unique historical monuments, rich culture, friendly people guarantee unforgettable moments and experiences.
The Renaissance-Baroque chateau from 1612 built at uphill over the village as an anti-Turkish fortification at place of medieval castle. It wad adapted to the romantic style in the 19th century. In the chateau are preserved renaissance, carved and painted ceillings, wall paintings. In park of the chateau, fragments of allergoric baroque plastics are situated. In the village is also Classical church from 1835.
Ruins are standing out at a forested hill in the centre of the village. King Béla IV. ordered building it in the second half of the 13th century after a Tartar invasion. In the first half of the 16th century it was fortified and it became a art of an anti-Turkish invasion fortress to protection of mining towns. In 1575, the Turks invaded the castle and ocupied it for 21 years. In 1679 it was conquered and destroyed by imperial armies.
THE BAROQUE MANOR HOUSE VIDINÁ
The Baroque manor house from 1706, the Baroque Evangelical belltower from the half of the 18th cent, neo-Baroque Roman-Catholic church of the God's Heart from 1900.
A GOTHIC CHURCH STARÁ HALIČ
A Gothic church with valuable interior from 1300-1350, remains of gothic wall paintings-national cultural monument. Next to the church is wooden Renaissance belltower from 1673 with a bell from the 15th century. From village over the hill Sedem chotárov (Seven limits) (602) is an Access to water reservoir Ružiná.
Ruins of the castle from the 14th century straddle directly the Slovak-Hungarian border. Originally it was a castle mansion fortified by two huge towers and watch bastion. In 1576 it was conquered by Turks and in the 17th century by imperial armies. It experienced large damages during corporative uprising. Since 1703 it is gradually going to ruins. Together with natural creation „Kamenný vodopád“ (Stone waterfall) it is an extraordinary site.
SECESSION BUILDING PODREČANY
A secession building inspired by French Baroque, built in 1893, rebuilt in the 20th century. A one-storey building built in U shaped floor with an obtuse pinacle roof over salients of wall, sunroof and staircase, surrounded by extended park.
Ruins are standing out at a forested hill in the centre of the village. King Béla IV. Ordered building it in the second half of the 13th century after a Tartar invasion. In the first half of the 16th century it was fortified and it became a part of an anti-Turkish invasion fortress to protection of mining towns. In 1575, the Turks invaded the castle and ocupied it for 21 years. In 1679 it was conquered and destroyed by imperial armies.
It is known for an interesting geological formation, so called „Kamenný vodopád“ or „Stone waterfall“. It is a basalt effusion about 9m high and 12m wide. This natural formation is an european curiosity. Medieval castle Šomoška is another remarkable object in the region. It was built from five-edge and hexagonal basalt blockstones, extracted in a vicinity.
It is located on a huge volcanic hill of the protected territory Cerová vrchovina. It is a residue of basalt effusion from the end of Tertiary period. At southern an western side there are 30m high rocky cliffs, stone seas and an important archeological site. Thera are precious kinds of thermophilic flora and fauna located here. Ruins of a gothic castle , which was a part of protection line against Turks in the 16th and 17th century. It was burned out in then 18th century.
Location is demonstration of a conical cliff outskirts of village Šurice with plants of stone cracks and thermophilic fauna and flora. A steep stony wall of a cliff is about 85 metres high. Territory is preserved by erosion and denudation activities, at the top so called well. Location gives an imosing character to the country and it is a a part of protected area Cerová vrchovina.
Natural Monument is an educational, geological location, an exhibition of development of early-Tertiary dregs of a volcanic hill of Cerová Vrchovina. At the location sandstones of last subtropical sea are exposed, which covered this territory 20-21 mil. years ago.